Monday, February 4, 2008

Narcissism

“What do you do when you reach the end of internet? You know those days when there is absolutely nothing to read anywhere online. What do you do?” BigGeek asked me out of the blue one night. He was reading his cases; I was vegging out in front of the TV. “It is a problem.” I admitted. “Rather, is used to be a problem before I started this blog. Now I just read my old posts. It’s guaranteed good reading.” I said trying to hide a smirk. BigGeek broke out in a wide grin. “I knew there was a really good reason I married you.” He grinned and went back to his work.

And here are mummyjaan and then Parul tagging me to be narcissistic (someone knows my secret) and what better person to wallow in self glory than me, huh? So let’s play this game.

Rules
Post 5 links to 5 of your previously written posts. The posts have to relate to the 5 key words given : family, friend, yourself, your love, anything you like. Tag 5 other friends to do this meme. Try to tag at least 2 new acquaintances (if not, your current blog buddies will do) so that you get to know them each a little bit better.

So here’s what I am going to do. I am going to put a small excerpt from each post and try to entice you to read the whole nine yards. And, if like me, if you have reached the end of the internet, thank your stars because this is your lucky day indeed.

Family
“I thought about you as I read these pages today.” My mother-in-law said smilingly as I stepped out onto the deck yesterday. I had just got home, given Chip his milk, peanuts, raisins, apple, milk again, juice (grape not apple), peanuts again. Finally getting tired of the game, I had given Chip an ultimatum, poured myself a glass of juice, helped myself to the Chivda the MIL had made and stepped out on the deck. The MIL was reading, or rather re-reading after a decade, Many Masters Many Lives, sitting on the swing, a cup of coffee in hand.
Read More

Friend
This is about Chip. It’s been a while since I have done a Chip-exclusive post and this would be a fitting sequel to my other bizarre post. Chip was a colicky, asthmatic baby and he was so hurting most of the time, he did not have any energy to bond with strangers. All that has changed and he is quite the Mr.Friendly to everyone now except a really good friend.
Read More

Yourself
I had always thought of myself as the been-there-done-that-person. So when I read this post by Usha, it made me reflect. I was a passionate twenty-something with a taste for adventure. Took a few years off after college despite the promise of well paying jobs and crossed the line into the artsy world. Jaded and a couple of years later, took a flight to the US, searching for new adventures and to go to a Grad school that had an excellent ranking in the artsy field. I was going on a mission of self-discovery, after all. Nothing was unattainable, not if I wanted it badly anyways. There were mountains to be scaled, rivers to be crossed and roads to be uncovered. Metaphorically, of course. And I had to do it on my own. No second-hand experiences for me, thank you very much. After all, the map was not the terrain. How far could I go?
Read More

Your love
The wonderful noon after having written a beautiful recount of her own engagement has tagged me to do the same. So here goes. It's a movie, mind y'all.
Read More

Anything you like
If you are looking at the title and are not quite sure what to expect, read on. This is about Chip and his passions. In order. Not a day passes without Chip alluding to all three of the above mentioned..umm..things.

Wine is an absolute favorite. Although tempted, I haven’t given him a six ounce in his plastic yellow lion cup yet, but that does not deter my budding oenophile from asking for some vino.
Read More


Passing the tag to new bloggie pals
The TAA Mom
Kowsalya
And old suspects
Altoid
Tharini
Boo

30 comments:

Tharini said...

Cute way of presenting. And so true...how you always have your own archives to fal back on in case of a reading resource shortage!

Tharini said...

done done-a done done!

By Deepa and Supriya said...

:)...sorta remember all of these posts...either speaks to my good memory (???) or your writing skills :) and now it's my turn, thanks to tharini

noon said...

You are allowed to be narcissistic - you write well! Makes for interesting reading even if you have to read it yourself days later! :)
Nice one!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dot, this tag is delightful. No need to write anything new. Just dig up from the past and present it in the present !!

Sunita Venkatachalam said...

And what happens if I've read ALL your posts? Hmpf. :)

The template - it's going to take some getting used to !

mummyjaan said...

Now, you don't need to be soooo apologetic about being narcissistic.

Blogging is synonymous with ME! anyway.

As Mad Momma said, it's a kind of getting-to-know-you tag. Rather like a focussed look into the archives. Useful for new readers like me.

Enjoyed reading all five.

Anonymous said...

T was around 4 months when we chose to attend TAADad's informal project team dinner at a cozy restaurant.There was this Ukranian Vladmir who insisted on T sucking his finger which was dipped in brandy. They used to do that to their own babies back there. As long as it was sips, i didnt want to create a hue. T survives till now, hopefully not detriminately affected :) Thanks for the tag. Couldnt be easier. No new material needed :)

Savani said...

tharini: thanks mucho!

orchid: you do?? wow. it definately is the good memory that is capable or archiving utter junk :)

noon: if you meet me, it will take all of 30 secs for you to woefully realize I am full of myself! :)

taamommy: hahaha. well said.

poppins: you have?? you actually sat and read my daily murder of the Queen's language? BTW Congrats. the comments on your warth shattering post are closed. will write tho.

mummyjaan: congrats.. for actually reading through inanae rants of my silly life!!!! :) it was a good tag. thanks!

taamommy: lol. I had a romanian friend who told me I should drink red wine when nursing!

Anonymous said...

hee hee :)) “Rather, is used to be a problem before I started this blog. Now I just read my old posts. It’s guaranteed good reading.”

Good one:))

To quote one of your quotes.."Blast from the past" :))

Vinita

Anonymous said...

I done it Ma'am !!

B o o said...

Both you and Tharini have tagged me. Will take it up soon. Like Orchid and Poppins, the entire posts came to my memory as soon as I read the excerpts!! I love the post you chose under "yourself" the most!

rayshma said...

LOVED this! :) was a gr8 way of catching up on ur blog! :D and heyy... u're from poona?! YIPPIE!! d world IS a small place! :D

Preethi said...

Lovely.. as always.. :) I love re-reading my old posts too.. like I told DH the other day... after all that is the main reason why we write them.. :)
Btw, there is something for you at my blog, come see

AA_Mom said...

Loved reading your older posts. You do have a way with words.

You had to go thru a lot with BG's health, Kudos to you for having emerged stronger.

I am not sure I have five posts written with the headings mentioned as so far I have stuck to writing only about the girls and nobody else. Will see what I can do.

By Deepa and Supriya said...

.....and you are tagged!

Savani said...

vinita: lol!

taamommy: heading over

boo: looking forward to see your selection.. and that's my favorite post too :)

rayshma: are you from poona??? I am not from poona.. I have some family that lives there, but I come from a much smaller town, actually. Never really lived in Poona.

preethi: hahahaha. thanks sooo much for the flowers and the kind words, preethi.. I hope I am deserving of such!

orchid: thanks for coming to my rescue and pulling me out of a rut.

Altoid said...

Dotmom : All done! Linked, tagged and all that jazz.

-altoid

mummyjaan said...

Dotmom and TAAmommy, this reminds me - I was told to drink 'Guinness' by my midwife in the hospital - she said it would increase my milk supply. I wasn't very sure I heard her right - I remember wondering if she was a little tipsy herself while dispensing that advice to a post-partum patient.

Savani said...

altoid: lovely posts you selected altoid!

mummyjaan: I guess its a european thing :)

DDmom said...

Very nice. LOL!! on the last post link.
Forgot to mention in the previous comment, love love this new template. Very pleasant..

AA_Mom said...

The Tag is done. Thanks.

Preethi said...

just read your love story.. fit for a movie indeed.. it was just lovely :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful. Will take a lead from you. In fact never read back my blogs. Was forced to do so yesterday to complete the meme...and got bored beyond the last few months....LOL.

Kowsalya Subramanian said...

Thanks DotMom for tagging me. I don't write that much so digging up archives isn't a chance.. may be i will slightly twist the tag ;)

bird's eye view said...

That's a great way to present the tag - and good reading too. These days I spend so much time reading blogs...y'all are going to get me fired!

Choxbox said...

nice! you really write well!

Savani said...

ddmom: thanks! really appreciate you reading the posts!

aa_mom: heading there now.

preethi: it does seem cute in hindsight :)

karmic: I don't believe you!!!! you write so well. Hell, I should head tehre and dig up your archives when I reach the internet.

kow: do twist it :)

bird's eye view: I hear you sistah. Maybe there is a bloggers anon somewhere. let's just hope they don't have online meetings :)

chox: thanks, hon! And here's the $50 I promised you for writing that comment :D

rayshma said...

yeah, originally, i'm from pune...as in, it's home for V & me!

Savani said...

rayshma: what a small world! My parents live there now.